Pages


Jimmy

Friday, February 23, 2018

February Vacation

I've been a Strava junkie as of late, but I don't want my meager blog to die just yet.  I've been rolling along, building some fitness.  I know the key is going to be hanging on through the long track season which starts in mid March.  If I can conquer that demon, I will be able to run year round.  The last 7 years, I have had very dismal track seasons of personal running.  I usually only run 10 miles or so per week during a 15 week period.  I always feel like I'm starting from scratch once summer rolls around.  This year, I plan on running early in the morning in order to keep my fitness going in the right direction.  It won't be easy, but this feels like the year that I will make it happen.  I figured I'd better put it in writing to remind myself on those dark, dreary days when the sun has yet to rise and the couch and coffee feel too comfy.  If/when I make it through track with some consistency, I have some fun goals to attack this summer.  I would like to erase some prs that I set from ages 18-22 before I fell off the running bandwagon thanks to a crazy life in my 20s.  Here are my old prs.

mile:  4:54 age 22
5k:  17:44 age 18 ( I ran around this time on three separate occasions)
4 mile: 23:48 - age 19
5 mile:  30:15 age 20 (xc)
10k:  no real pr
10 mile:  no real pr
half marathon:  no real pr
Pisgah 23k:  2:05:xx age 29
marathon:  3:33:08 age 20
Pisgah 50k:  6:29:xx age 36

I will try to find some 5ks - 10ks this spring to work on getting fitter and staying motivated.  I won't hit any lifelong prs this spring, but by the end of summer things could start going my way.  I figure I'm in 21:00 minute 5k shape and I might be right around 6 minutes for the mile.  I would like to head over to a snow free track next week and try a mile time trial to know for certain.  That's all for now.  Happy running everyone.

ps - I've been flare free in the Crohn's department thanks to Remicade every 8weeks for the last 2 years.  I still hate taking it, and believe that one day I will say FUCK Crohn's and be meds and flare free for life!  This disease has played its part in setting back my fitness.  It's handed me some pretty low moments.  I won't forget the feeling of waiting in a hospital bed with fingers crossed that expensive chemicals will save my colon and normal way of life.  This memory will propel me out the door on those early mornings.  I'll say it again - FUCK YOU Crohn's!!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back on the blog! Hopefully your brothers will take your cue as well.
    Good luck with your goals. I find personally it does help to put them in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your assessment re: Chron's...

    Glad you're getting after it despite illness and all of life's other distractions as well.

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete